Thursday, April 16, 2009

Golden Sweet Cornbread

I gave this cornbread recipe a try, and I don't think I will use another recipe again. Found it on Allrecipes.com when I was looking for a version that could be done in smaller batches than the one I usually use - this one bakes up fluffy and crumbly in an 8X8 or a 9" round pan, and is MOIST and SWEET! I forgot to cover the leftovers before bed, and found them to still be soft the next morning...so I heated them up with butter for breakfast!

I prefer to soak my cornmeal in the milk before mixing it, but if you prefer not to just combine all dry ingredients first, then add the wet ingredients.

Golden Sweet Cornbread

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan or 8X8 square pan. Combine cornmeal and milk, let soak for about 3-5 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk mixture and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Total Cost:
Flour - $0.09
Cornmeal - $0.20
Sugar - $0.l0
Egg - $0.14
Milk - $0.17
Oil - $0.15
Salt, Baking powder - $0.10

Grand Total: $0.95 for 8-9 servings!



Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

 
Photobucket