This recipe is from another of my go-to sites, 5 Dollar Dinners - if you haven't been to her site yet, it is a frugal mom's paradise! Not only are her dinners inexpensive and delicious, she is cooking for kids with strict dietary restrictions and STILL makes it work!
I love the combination of flavors in this dish - serve with rice or couscous!
Ginger Sweet Potato Chicken Bake
2 large chicken breasts, about 1.25 lb
2 large sweet potatoes, about 1.5 lb
1 15 oz can of pineapple pieces, in 100% pineapple juice
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Dice chicken breasts into 1/2 - 1 inch cubes. Helpful Hint: It's easiest to cut chicken breasts while they are still partially frozen.
3. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes.
4. Drain pineapple juice, (reserve about 1/2 cup to use when cooking rice if you are using that as your side dish).
5. In large bowl, toss diced chicken breast, sweet potato pieces and pineapple piece. Add extra virgin olive oil, ground ginger, garlic powder, ground cinnamon and salt and pepper. Toss well. Transfer mixture to 9x13 baking dish.
6. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes uncovered. Remove and cover with foil, and then bake another 30-40 minutes. (This will prevent the sweet potatoes from drying out.)
Chicken - $2.50
Sweet Potatoes - $1.50
Pineapple - $0.80
Olive Oil - $0.08
Seasonings - $0.20
Grand Total - $5.08 for 6 servings!