3 or 4 Large bananas, mashed (the more bananas the moister, so I use 4)
1/2 cup white sugar (original recipe calls for 1 cup, but I don’t like them too sweet)
1 slightly beaten egg
1/3 cup melted margarine or butter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour
Mix the mashed banana, sugar, egg and margarine together. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, mix together baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour.
Mix wet and dry ingredients all together, being careful not to over-stir!
Pour into greased muffin tins, and bake in 350 degrees oven for approximately 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Sugar - $0.07
Egg - $0.14
Flour - $0.14
GRAND TOTAL - $1.25 for 6 big muffins, or $0.20 per muffin
Add-ins that I've used (check back, I update this list anytime I try something new!):
- 2 mashed bananas, 1-1 1/2 cup sliced strawberries, 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 3 mashed bananas, 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 pint frozen blueberries
- 1-1 1/2 cup sliced strawberries, 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, 1/2 tsp each of cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger, 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups shredded carrot, 1 cup applesauce (replaces butter), 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup white sugar (replaces all regular sugar), 1/2 tsp each nutmeg and cinnamon