Monday, September 8, 2008

Mimi's Sticky Chicken

Copyright 1985-2001 Mimi Hiller at www.cyber-kitchen.com

When I found this recipe I had to read it twice - cook at 250 degrees? But that's not a typo. it's basically a crockpot-style recipe in the oven, and the mix of seasonings is just perfect. I like a juicy chicken (and my oven can be a bit drying) so I slide a few pats of butter or margarine under the skin and rub the spices underneath as well as on top of the skin.

Mimi's Sticky Chicken

Ingredients:
2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 whole roasting chicken, about 3 pounds
1 cup chopped onion

Combine all spices (first 8 ingredients) in a small bowl.
Rinse chicken inside and out, drain well.
Rub spice mixture over skin and the inside of chicken.
Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.

When ready to roast, stuff cavity with onions.
Place chicken, breast side down, in roasting pan.
Roast uncovered at 250 degrees for about 5 hours.
Baste occasionally with pan juices or until pan juices start to caramelize on bottom of pan and chicken is golden brown.

Total cost:
Spices - negligible
Chicken - appx $3.50
Onion - $0.31

GRAND TOTAL: $3.81 with LOTS of leftovers
*I also use the carcass to make chicken broth for use in other recipes!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I loved this recipe!! The chicken was so tender. I'm glad I found your blog!

 
Photobucket