I found this little gem on Allrecipes.com - I wanted another alternative to a starchy side dish that would please my french fry-loving husband :) I like the Rice Krispy crust, it gives me a reason to use up the cereal other than making marshmallow treats! The recipe calls for garlic powder and cayenne pepper, but you could easily omit those if you prefer a more straightforward flavor.
Savoury Sweet Potato Sticks
3 medium sweet potatoes
3 cups crushed Rice Krispies
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup flour
4 egg whites
4 Tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash potatoes (or peel). Cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices, then cut slices into 1/2 inch sticks
3. In a shallow dish, mix cereal and seasonings. Place flour in a second dish. In a medium bowl, mix egg whites and water.
4. Coat potatoes with flour, dredge in egg mixture, then coat with cereal mixture. Place in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned and tender when tested with a sharp knife.
Sweet potatoes - $1.20
Rice Krispies - $0.50
Flour - $0.05
Egg whites - $0.56
Grand Total: $2.31 for 4-6 servings!