Thursday, December 16, 2010

Crockpot Seafood Paella

I love introducing my kids to new flavors! I've been wanting to try paella and when I found this recipe in Parents' Magazine, it was time to expand their little palates again! It was very easy, relatively inexpensive, and it would be easy to substitute chicken or sausage for one or both of the seafood ingredients to suit your own tastes!

Crockpot Seafood Paella

Ingredients:
Nonstick cooking spray
3/4 cup chopped sweet peppers
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup uncooked rice
1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper (reduce by half if you have younger kids)
1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
12 oz. fresh or frozen shrimp (I used precooked cocktail shrimp)
12 oz. tilapia fillets, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1 cup frozen peas

Directions:
1. Coat a 3-1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray; add peppers, onion, and garlic and set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl combine the broth, rice, thyme, crushed red pepper, and turmeric. Microwave on high for 4 minutes or until just boiling. Pour over vegetables in cooker.

2. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 4 hours. An hour before it's finished cooking, stir in shrimp, tilapia, and peas. Cover and cook for the last hour. Remove cooker from liner; let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Makes 6 servings.

Total Cost:
Sweet pepper: $0.80
Onion: $0.30
Chicken broth: free!
Rice: $0.40
12oz precooked cocktail shrimp: $3.99
12oz tilapia: $2.75
Peas: $0.40
Seasonings: $0.25

GRAND TOTAL: $8.89 for 6 servings!


Add to Technorati Favorites

4 comments:

Colleen said...

You got this from Parents magazine right? It says 6 servings, but for who, 6 year olds? How does 1 cup of rice feed 6 people?

Anonymous said...

Does this really feed 6 people? I mean 1 cup of rice?

savvysuzie said...

Yes it really does. I don't post a recipe unless I've tried it myself. I made it in a 5 quart crockpot and it was brimming almost to the top by the time it was done cooking! 5 quarts is a LOT of food. If you have hearty eaters, just make a batch of cornbread or an extra veggie side to round things out!

Nicole said...

I'm at the seafood adding point. I was nervous to use brown rice because I hate hard rice. So, I used Botan white rice. Its a bit mushy (and I didn't go longer or anything). It seems like a fair amount of food, but the crockpot is not overflowing. I should've added more peas since my girls love peas.

 
Photobucket